Virginia – November 18, 2021 – Norfolk State University (NSU), the largest historically black public university in the Commonwealth of Virginia, announced a partnership with Academic Partnerships (AP) to expand NSU’s high-quality and affordable graduate degree programs through an online platform. Through this partnership, NSU increases its online education and technology offerings, including Master of Arts degrees in Urban Education and Special Education and Master of Science degrees in Computer Science, CyberPsychology, and Electronics Engineering.
These new programs distinguish NSU as a leader in critical, high-growth fields. These programs include the following:
- Master of Science in Computer Science: Work with award winning faculty to gain the necessary skills, experiences, and problem-solving abilities in cybersecurity, data science, software and game design and development, and network systems. Upon graduation, students are able to pursue exciting and challenging roles in software engineering, cybersecurity, data science machine learning, gaming and simulation, and more.
- Master of Science in Electronics Engineering:With only a few similar programs in the US, this degree equips engineers with the technical skills to aid in the design and development of chips. Every digital device is powered by a chip, and recent news has cited the national security implications of having the majority of chips manufactured overseas. This program helps support the effort to bring more design and fabrication capacity back to the US. The program features tracks in Biomedical Engineering and Microelectronics and Photonics.
- Master of Science in CyberPsychology:This degree is a unique program in an emerging field. CyberPsychology is the study of the interaction between people and the digital world. It examines the implications of people’s immersion in a massive ecosystem of cell phones, games, laptops, social media, virtual and augmented reality, and the interconnections of billions of people from every corner of the globe.
- Master of Arts in Urban Education: To enhance the opportunity to reach our most underrepresented populations, this degree program provides the knowledge and skills for educators to be successful in a diverse urban school setting. This degree program offers three concentrations in Principal Prep, Mathematics, and English.
- Master of Arts in Special Education – General Curriculum K12: Providing an interdisciplinary approach, this program offers working paraprofessionals the chance to grow as culturally responsive educators and achieve initial teaching certification. Graduates can become special education teachers or curriculum developers, early intervention specialists, and more.”
By focusing on these areas, NSU provides working adults across the Commonwealth of Virginia and surrounding states with the opportunity to advance their careers using an accessible online format at an affordable price point.
NSU is one of the state’s most affordable four-year public colleges and offers 18 advanced degrees. Last year, US News and World Report ranked the 85-year-old institution as a Top-20 Historically Black College and University (HBCU).
“We are excited to collaborate with Academic Partnerships on this important effort as we work to provide more access to our academic programming to nontraditional students and professionals,” said Norfolk State University President Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston. “As we expand our academic offerings, it is important to meet prospective graduate students where they are – and that is definitely online.
“This partnership will make it easier for individuals with full-time jobs to earn advanced degrees at their own pace.”
Helping facilitate this affordable and quality delivery model is Academic Partnerships (AP), a leading online facilitator based in Dallas, Texas. AP is a partner to more than 50 universities across the country, primarily regional public universities, helping those institutions expand access to top-quality, affordable, and workforce-relevant education. Norfolk State University is the first HBCU with which AP has partnered.
NSU and its faculty will ensure academic quality by driving all aspects of teaching, curriculum, and course content, while AP will work collaboratively in a consultative role with faculty in converting their courses to an online format.
“Academic Partnerships is thrilled to work with Norfolk State University to expand access to its well-regarded graduate degree programs,” said Rob Ganji, chief executive officer. “NSU has such a strong legacy of serving their students in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Historically Black Colleges and Universities, like NSU, play such a critical role for the community, including serving many first-generation college students, and we are honored to partner with them to expand access to affordable, high-quality education to even more students.”
For more information on these programs or other programs offered by NSU, please visit www.nsu.edu.
For additional information, contact:
Norfolk State University
Dir. of Media Relations
About Norfolk State University
Norfolk State University is a comprehensive urban public institution that is committed to transforming students’ lives through exemplary teaching, research, and service. Offering a supportive academic and culturally diverse environment for all, the University empowers its students to turn their aspirations into reality and achieve their full potential as well rounded, resourceful citizens and leaders for the 21st century. With annual operating revenues exceeding $196 million, and more than 1,200 employees and more than 30,000 alumni, NSU plays a vital economic and social role in the City of Norfolk, the Hampton Roads region, and across Virginia.
About Academic Partnerships
Academic Partnerships is an online facilitator that assists primarily public institutions of higher education in taking their academic programs online and recruits and retains qualified students through program completion. AP’s mission is to expand access to top quality, affordable and workforce relevant education, especially for working and adult students. Founded in digital innovation more than a decade ago, Academic Partnerships brings single-minded dedication, an integrated set of services and data-driven performance to our collaboration with university partners—even more so as we face the challenges brought on by COVID-19. For more information on innovative online learning solutions, please visit www.academicpartnerships.com.